Nintendo’s first Direct livestream for 2014 aired today at 5PM EST, and brought forth with it a ton of news for the company’s Wii U and 3DS Spring release schedule.
The stream started off with a trailer showing off Little Mac, the newest addition to Super Smash Bros. roster. In addition to showing new footage for upcoming 3DS games like Yoshi’s New Island, Shovel Knight and 1001 Spikes, new titles were announced, including a new Phoenix Wright game planned for Japanese audiences and new eShop titles like Steel Diver: Sub Wars and Weapon Shop de OMASSE, a game that pits you as the blacksmith of a weapons shop within a RPG.
On the Wii U side of things, we got new video footage of Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft’s Xenoblade Chronicles successor, the upcoming Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and the announcement of Ubisoft turn-based RPG Child of Light for the eShop.
And about those Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games? They’ll be made available on the Wii U eShop sometime this Spring, and will initially be comprised of Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi’s Island.
For the entire amalgamation of news and some fresh screenshots, jump on over past the break.
- Little Mac will be joining the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U roster, release planned sometime in 2014.
- Mario Golf World Tour for 3DS will feature Mii costume and golf club customization. The game has been delayed to May 2, 2014.
- Kirby Triple Deluxe will feature a StreetPassing that gives you a collectible 8-bit keychains and powerup from a friendly character. The game will launch on May 2, 2014.
- Yoshi’s New Island will feature several transformations that Yoshi can undergo, including turning into a submarine and jackhammer, both of which utilizes the gyroscope of the 3DS. The game launches March 14, 2014.
- Steel Diver: Sub Wars is a successor to Steel Diver, where the player controls a submarine in first person and fights against other submarines. The game will feature 4-on-4 offline and online multiplayer. The game will be a free title with a paid version available as well. The game is now available on the 3DS eShop.
- 3DS baseball title Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball will be based on “good feelings.” The game is comprised of several purchasable minigames related to baseball, like umpiring, pitching and swinging the bat. Once a player completes the demo, the player can haggle over the minigames’ prices with the game’s dog mascot. The game will launch in April on the 3DS eShop.
- Pokemon Battle Trozei is an action puzzle game featuring four-player co-op and is coming out on March 20 on the 3DS eShop.
- Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy will be the final Layton game. The game launches Feb. 28, 2014.
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate footage was shown, still slated for early 2015.
- A new Phoenix Wright is in development on 3DS for Japanese audiences.
- Weapon Shop de OMASSE is a new game by Guild01, the creators of Liberation Maiden in which the player is a Blacksmith’s Apprentice that works at an NPC’s shop within an RPG. The game launches on 3DS on Feb. 20, 2014.
- Inazuma Eleven, a dramatic soccer game, launches on the 3DS eShop today.
- Treasurenauts and Moon Chronicles are two new 3DS eShop games from Mutants Mudds creator Renegade Kid.
- Shovel Knight was shown off by Yacht Club Games, coming March 31, 2014.
- 1001 Spikes is an 8-bit platformer destined to make our blood boil.
- Ubisoft’s two-player co-op turn-based RPG Child of Light is coming to the Wii U eShop on April 30, 2014.
- Wii U digital title NES Remix gets a sequel with NES Remix 2, which features later NES titles like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Metroid. It launches in April
- GBA Virtual Console titles are FINALLY coming to the Wii U this Spring, and will include Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi’s Island, among others.
- Japan will be getting GBA titles like The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, Wario Land 4, Mario Tennis Advance, Metroid Fusion, Advance Wars, WarioWare, F-Zero and Golden Sun.
- Mario Kart 8 will feature Bowser’s Koopa Kids as playable racers. The game launches on May 30, 2014.
- Monolith Soft’s new Wii U RPG was shown off with new gameplay footage. Features battles similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, with some third-person gatling gun action and mech-on-monster combat.
- Bayonetta 2 was shown off with a new trailer from Platinum Games. The game will launch “later this year.”