Nintendo has revealed the official 30-day periods in which users can purchase select NES and SNES Virtual Console titles for “real low cheap” on the Wii U.
Since July 15, 2013 is the 30th anniversary of the launch of the Famicom, which was eventually released in North America as the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Nintendo has saw fit to offer a bunch of classics for the ridiculous price of $0.30 each month. That’s $0.30 US and Canadian, 4.00 pesos Mexican, and 1.00 reals Brazilian.
Unlike the Virtual Console releases on the original Wii Shop Channel, these versions feature GamePad support, save states and customizable button layouts. Once a title is released on the Wii U eShop, you have 30 days to purchase it under that promotion before it goes back up to its regular price.
Here are the time periods:
- Balloon Fight (NES): Jan. 23 to Feb. 21
- F-Zero (SNES): Feb. 20 to March 21
- Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (NES): Mar. 20 to Apr. 18
- Kirby’s Adventure (NES): Apr. 17 to May 16
- Super Metroid (SNES): May 15 to June 13
- Yoshi (NES): Wed, June 12 to July 11
- Donkey Kong (NES): July 15 to Aug. 13
Whether these are the only Virtual Console releases will see during this seven-month period remains to be seen. I certainly hope not; the Wii Shop Channel has already had these digitally for several years, and there’s still a bunch of Virtual Console offerings that many fans are still waiting on.